Mick Hassell, Trial Lawyer
Areas of Practice: Civil and Commercial Litigation & Trials
Phone: (416) 944-2274
Mick operates the Self Service Litigation Garage where he rolls up his sleeves to work with self-reps involved in civil and commercial litigation and trials across Ontario. He is also the author of Mick’s Trial Manual, a practical online resource of trial information and trial precedents.
Mick’s approach to litigation and trials is to keep it simple. Any case has 3 steps:
- Gathering information;
- Processing information; and
- Presenting information.
Mick breaks any case down into its 6 fundamental parts and guides self-reps on what to do with each part:
- Story (theory of the case)
- People (witnesses)
- Documents and Things (exhibits)
- Law of Evidence (what can and can’t be used)
- Procedure (how to get your day in Court and what happens at trial)
- Substantive Law (the legal test you must you meet)